Saturday, July 08, 2006

what have i created?




Okay, so today D was sitting on the floor in the family room with his dvds in a wicker box.

What does Little Einsteins start with, Mom? he asked. At six and a half (he always adds the "half"), D still doesn't consistently have his R or L sounds down in his expressive language.

I was sitting at the kitchen table reading a book. I looked up briefly and said, What do you mean? The letter it starts with? He shook his head up and down, taking all the dvds out of the box and fanning them out on the floor.

"L," I replied, sounding it out- lll-ll, el.

I went back to my book and then looked at him again and smiled. My heart raced just a little faster. Oh my, surely it wasn't possible.

What are you doing, Buddy? I almost dared not ask but did anyway, Are you putting your dvds in alphabetical order? My heart skipped a beat.

Yea, he shrugged.

Oh, that's a neat idea, Honey! Cool! I tried not to act too excited but organization always thrills me and my son was initiating a very useful strategy all on his own!

Hmmmm... then I started to wonder whether he inherited some of my anal retentive leanings. Was it really a good thing? Afterall, I alphabetize my spices and color-code the clothes in my closet and people have said that is bordering on OCD (but really, retrieving what I am looking for is sooo much easier that way!)

I sat and considered all these things. Maybe my son alphabetizing his dvds wasn't such a good thing afterall. Maybe incessant hand-washing or turning on and off the light a certain number of times were right around the corner (no, I do not do either one.) Could this emergent organization strategy be a "bad" thing? Naahhhh.

Organization is a good thing!

Now if he would only acquire a hankerin' to clean (something I am not too motivated to do at all anymore) we would be in good shape.

2 Comments:

At Sat Jul 08, 10:37:00 PM EDT, Blogger m/p said...

how absolutely adorable!!!

 
At Tue Jul 11, 02:05:00 AM EDT, Blogger t said...

auntie!!!
love that you started a blog!! and it is so COOL!!! i need karl's help too!!! well, have fun. i can't wait to see you and that organizing boy SOON!
love,
t

 

Post a Comment

<< Home