Thursday, October 11, 2007

a birthday wish

David is a member of a "Birthday Club" at a local restaurant. On his birthday he gets a free dinner!

So, my eight year old and I went to dinner tonight for his birthday. When the complimentary birthday sundae treat came out with a lit candle I told David to make a wish. He blew out the candle.

I smiled, "Your wish is going to come true!"

He looked at me, with a steady gaze. "Why?" he asked.

"Honey, you blew out your candle in one breath. And I just really, truly believe it will." As soon as the words left my mouth I immediately hoped he didn't wish for something too extravagant or something he would never get, like a dirt bike.

He paused for a moment, and then said, "It already came true."

"It already came true?" I was surprised. Really? I couldn't imagine what gift he had wanted and had already received; after all, the microscope set, I figured, was a complete surprise.

So curious. "What did you wish for?"

He looked at me and, very matter of fact, answered, "A happy life."

A happy life?

A happy life.

My heart melted a little... which is a fairly regular occurrence, given I am mom to David.

What I have always, truly wished for David is a contented (if not happy, necessarily; but, certainly, contented) life.

So... all I can say, at this moment in time, when my newly eight year old shared that his fondest wish had already come true, is-- Hallelujah!

1 Comments:

At Tue Oct 16, 09:43:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT is one the most heart-warming little stories I have ever heard!! Bless you both with happy times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home